Pros and Cons of Hot Water on Demand
The average Syracuse home with an on-demand hot water heater will require considerably less energy to heat its water. Depending on the amount of water used in a day, and the energy efficiency and configuration of the appliance(s), on-demand water heaters can use 50% of the energy of a conventional system. In addition, tankless water heaters take up less space in the home, are easier to repair, and have a longer operational life than tank storage heaters.
On-demand hot water does have its drawbacks: systems are typically more expensive upfront than conventional water heaters, and, for houses that use more than 86 gallons of hot water a day, energy efficiency for a single unit begins to drop. Tankless water heaters can produce between 2-5 gallons of hot water per minute. While this is enough to take a shower or run the dishwasher, most systems will be unable to handle both at the same time.
Tankless Water Heater Installation Checklist
In order to choose the right tankless water heater for your home, there are a few things you should consider in advance:
- Gas or electric — Gas heaters are more efficient and more powerful, but they require additional work to set up. Electric heaters are a smart choice for smaller homes and apartments, or for homes without a gas hookup.
- Mounting space — Determine how much wall space is available to install the heater. Remember that, for gas heaters, access to a gas outlet is essential.
- Cold water temperature — The colder the water in your home, the more powerful a heater you’ll need to bring it to temperature.
- Water flow rates — Each appliance that uses hot water has a recommended flow rate, measured in gallons per minute (GPM). Consider the number of appliances you plan on running simultaneously and determine the maximum flow rate you need.
- BTU — Water heaters are measured in BTU, and higher BTU units heat water faster. The power of your unit will depend on the flow rate and the incoming temperature of the water.
Syracuse's on Demand Water Heater Experts
Whether or not an on-demand hot water heater is right for your home will depend on your water usage and the amount of money you're able to invest in your system. Whatever your needs are, Mr. Rooter Plumbing can help you find the water heater that's right for your budget. Contact us today for more info!
Request an Appointment