If you want to make sure that sewer doesn’t back up into your The Woodlands, TX home this summer, then here are some tips that will help you makes sure everything is working well during each season. You may have to deal with flooding from a storm or flood, but it is hard for any home to avoid that since the problem usually comes from the city line.
One of the biggest ways to keep a sewer line healthy is to keep it clean. Use a solution of vinegar and baking soda in your drains to eat away at build up every month. You can also simply use the weight of hot water in a full bathtub to flush your sewer line every few weeks or each month.
Things to Avoid:
- Make sure grease and oil go in a bucket or jar instead of down a drain.
- Don’t let anything that resembles a baby wipe, diaper, napkin, paper towel, or feminine products go down a drain or toilet. Even the products that say they are flushable don’t fall apart the way they are supposed to, so they still clog sewer lines.
- Avoid using watermelon rinds, peels, corn, eggshells, coffee grounds, bones, and big pieces of meat or pots of noodles down a garbage disposal. Run your garbage disposal with hot water first, then put food down the drain piece by piece. Don’t run the disposal after food is compacted in the drain.
- Avoid putting car products such as oil or anti-freeze down your home’s drains. Also, don’t clean paints or wash them down the sink. All these chemical-based liquids can solidify and may even be illegal to dispose of down a drain.
- Use drain strainers, so nothing goes down your drains accept water.
If you want to avoid having your sewer back up this summer, follow a few great habits, and you shouldn’t have any problems. If you need your drains cleaned, call Mr. Rooter today!